[Fluff] Return of "Oh-No, not again..."
Rob Kelk
2012-04-30 01:36:22 UTC
It's been a while since we had this fluff thread; specifically, it's
been six years. But nostalga is the latest thing, and anime-reactor.net
has a "best character" list for each year (citing the Japanese anime
names) to raid for the last half-decade-plus, so...

You wake up in a bed.

Slighly hung over.

Naked.

With a person you recall meeting at the party last night sleeping the
sleep of the sated beside (and somewhat entangled with) you.

Both of you smelling rather... well, you get the general idea.

Obviously, the first thing you do is curse yourself fiercely for getting
in this situation, then you open your eyes for identification... and it
is worse than you thought.

Where do these people rank, in both relative and absolute terms, on the
proverbial OhDearGodI'llNeverDrinkAgain (or alternately, the
WhatIdiotSpikedThePunchI'llSkinHimAliveForThis) scale?

(Yes, I know some of these are just plain wrong... or impossible... This
is what happens when we let a recurring fluff thread sit fallow for over
a half-decade. And since there are so many names, just rank the ones
you're familiar with, and add other characters from the same shows as
the whim strikes you.)

For those interested in the ladies:

Suzumiya Haruhi (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu)
Revy (Black Lagoon)
Aka Onda (Rec)
Fujioka Haruhi (Ouran Koukou Host Club)
Hitotsubashi Yurie-sama (Kamichu!)
Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière (Zero no Tsukaima)
Real Mayar (Ergo Proxy)
Tousaka Rin (Fate/stay night)

Balsa (Seirei no Moribito)
Kana Minami (Minami-ke)
Konata Izumi (Lucky Star)
Shuurei Kou (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
Makoto Konno (Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo)
Megumi "Nodame" Noda (Nodame Cantabile)
Nana Osaki (Nana)
Risa Koizumi (Lovely Complex)
Yoko (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)

Horo (Ookami to Koushinryou)
Aoi Minamo (RD Sennou Chousashitsu)
Isurugi Noe (True Tears)
Kasahara Iku (Toshokan Sensou)
Kawazoe "Tama-chan" Tamaki (Bamboo Blade)
Kuhouin Murasaki (Kurenai)
Noda "Nodame" Megumi (Nodame Cantabile: Paris-Hen)
Yasuoka Shion (Shion no Ou)

Senjougahara Hitagi (Bakemonogatari)
Erin (Kemono no Souja Erin)
Hana Morenos (Michiko to Hatchin)
Michiko Malandro (Michiko to Hatchin)
Mogami Kyouko (Skip Beat!)
Nishimura Haru (Bounen no Xamdou)
Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Aisaka Taiga (Toradora!)

Noda Megumi (Nodame Cantabile: Finale)
Kuronuma Sawako (Kimi ni Todoke)
Anarchy Panty (Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt)
Anarchy Stocking (Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt)
Arashiyama Hotori (Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru)
Kagura (Gintama)
Kurashita Tsukimi (Kuragehime)
Niche (Tegami Bachi)
Olivier Mira Armstrong (Hagane no Renkinjutsushi (2009))
Hiiragi (Hanamaru Youchien)
Kuroneko (Gokou Ruri) (Ore no Imouto)
Shimura Tae (Gintama)
Tamura Manami (Ore no Imouto)
Tatiana Vishnyova (Nodame Cantabile: Finale)
Winry Rockbell (Hagane no Renkinjutsushi (2009))
Yoshida Chizuru (Kimi ni Todoke)

Akemi Homura (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)
Arrietty (Karigurashi no Arrietty)
Inami Mahiru (Working`!!)
Kaname Madoka (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)
Makise Kurisu (Steins;Gate)
Matsumae Ohana (Hana-Saku Iroha)
Takatsuki Yoshino (Hourou Musuko)
Oginome Ringo (Mawaru Penguin Drum)
Amane Suzuha (Steins;Gate)
Maekawa-san (Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko)
Miyoshi Kaya (Bakuman.)
Sakura Kyouko (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)
Sarashina Chizuru (Hourou Musuko)
Tomoe Mami (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)
Tsurugi Minko (Hana-Saku Iroha)

For those interested in the guys:

Kyon (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu)
Archer (Fate/stay night)
Dutch (Black Lagoon)
Ginko (Mushishi)
Hiraga Saitou (Zero no Tsukaima)
Matsumaru Fumihiko (Rec)
Mizuno Kanta (Sunabouzu)
Ootori Kyouya (Ouran Koukou Host Club)
Satou Tatsuhiro (NHK ni Youkoso!)

Light "Kira" Yagami (Death Note)
Kamina (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
Hei (Darker than Black - Kuro no Keiyakusha)
Isaac Dian (Baccano!)
L (Death Note)
Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch)
Nozomu Itoshiki (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei)
Shinichi Chiaki (Nodame Cantabile)
Simon (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
Yuuichi Aizawa (Kanon (2006)

Negishi Souichi/Johannes Krauser II (Detroit Metal City)
Chiaki Shinichi (Nodame Cantabile: Paris-Hen)
Ikari Shinji (Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Jo)
Kaiba (Kaiba)
Kurenai Shinkurou (Kurenai)
Lawrence Craft (Ookami to Koushinryou)
Natsume Takashi (Natsume Yuujinchou)
Okazaki Tomoya (Clannad)

Takizawa Akira (Higashi no Eden)
Takasu Ryuuji (Toradora!)
Adam Blade (Needless)
Araragi Koyomi (Bakemonogatari)
Casshern (Casshern Sins)
Fan Hyulick (Tytania)
Natsume Takashi (Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou)
Okazaki Tomoya (Clannad After Story)
Takamura Mamoru (Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting - New Challenger)

Sakata Gintoki (Gintama)
Katsuragi Keima (Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai)
Koibuchi Kuranosuke (Kuragehime)
Lag Seeing (Tegami Bachi)
Ozaki Toshio (Shiki)
Ryner Lute (Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu)
Takanashi Souta (Working!!)
Vash the Stampede (Trigun: Badlands Rumble)
Watashi (Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei)
Roy Mustang (Hagane no Renkinjutsushi (2009))
Ozu (Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei)
Franz von Stresemann (Nodame Cantabile: Finale)
Hasegawa Taizou (Gintama)
Heiwajima Shizuo (Durarara!!)
Hijikata Toshirou (Gintama)
Matsukichi (Sarai-ya Goyou)
Sanada Ryuu (Kimi ni Todoke)

Okabe "Hououin Kyouma" Rintarou (Steins;Gate)
Baka Ki El Dogra (Level E)
Cao Cao (Souten Kouro)
Kaburagi T. Kotetsu (Tiger & Bunny)
Kawachi Daikichi (Usagi Drop)
Natsume Takashi (Natsume Yuujinchou San)
Nitori Shuuichi (Hourou Musuko)
Takakura Shouma (Mawaru Penguin Drum)

Niizuma Eiji (Bakuman.)
Nyanko-sensei (Natsume Yuujinchou San)
Hashida "Daru" Itaru (Steins;Gate)
Hisakawa "Poppo" Tetsudou (Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada
Shiranai.)
Kraft (Level E)
Senji Kiyomasa (Deadman Wonderland)
Suguro Ryuuji (Ao no Exorcist)
--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)
of childishness and the desire to be very grown-up." - C.S. Lewis
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2012-04-30 02:28:18 UTC
Post by Rob Kelk
It's been a while since we had this fluff thread; specifically, it's
been six years. But nostalga is the latest thing, and anime-reactor.net
has a "best character" list for each year (citing the Japanese anime
names) to raid for the last half-decade-plus, so...
Alas, that means essentially no one for me to even respond to since I
haven't any idea who most of them are (I know Winry and General
Armstrong, and Arietty). Of course, the other thing is that being (A) a
total non-drinker, and (B) married, the scenario is no longer even
reasonable contemplatable for me.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Rob Kelk
2012-04-30 02:52:31 UTC
On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:28:18 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Rob Kelk
It's been a while since we had this fluff thread; specifically, it's
been six years. But nostalga is the latest thing, and anime-reactor.net
has a "best character" list for each year (citing the Japanese anime
names) to raid for the last half-decade-plus, so...
Alas, that means essentially no one for me to even respond to since I
haven't any idea who most of them are (I know Winry and General
Armstrong, and Arietty).
(Eyebrows go way, way up) You don't know who Haruhi Suzumiya is?
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Of course, the other thing is that being (A) a
total non-drinker, and (B) married, the scenario is no longer even
reasonable contemplatable for me.
That's why the scenario includes "who spiked the punch?", but I can see
why you wouldn't want to take part in this sort of thread despite that.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2012-04-30 13:24:29 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Rob Kelk
It's been a while since we had this fluff thread; specifically, it's
been six years. But nostalga is the latest thing, and anime-reactor.net
has a "best character" list for each year (citing the Japanese anime
names) to raid for the last half-decade-plus, so...
Alas, that means essentially no one for me to even respond to since I
haven't any idea who most of them are (I know Winry and General
Armstrong, and Arietty).
(Eyebrows go way, way up) You don't know who Haruhi Suzumiya is?
Sort of vaguely. She's the main character in the eponymous anime, and
apparently from what I've heard she's effectively God without realizing
it -- and she's bored, which is dangerous.
Post by Rob Kelk
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Of course, the other thing is that being (A) a
total non-drinker, and (B) married, the scenario is no longer even
reasonable contemplatable for me.
That's why the scenario includes "who spiked the punch?"
But I don't drink punch, either. People always put fizzy stuff in it,
and I can't drink soda. I usually get myself water from the tap, so
unless the water supply's poisoned...

, but I can see
Post by Rob Kelk
why you wouldn't want to take part in this sort of thread despite that.
If I knew enough of them to make it fun I might consider it, but almost
all of the sequences would end in tears, and I prefer to write happy
endings. :)
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Galen
2012-04-30 14:23:04 UTC
But this season includes characters like Nyarlothotep and Cthuko:
Ken Arromdee
2012-04-30 14:29:34 UTC
Post by Rob Kelk
Where do these people rank, in both relative and absolute terms, on the
proverbial OhDearGodI'llNeverDrinkAgain (or alternately, the
WhatIdiotSpikedThePunchI'llSkinHimAliveForThis) scale?
Are we supposed to ignore all considerations of inappropriate age
differences? Most anime characters are young, and most of us are old
enough that the first worry would be being sent to prison for statutory rape.
--
Ken Arromdee / arromdee_AT_rahul.net / http://www.rahul.net/arromdee

Obi-wan Kenobi: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes."
Yoda: "Do or do not. There is no 'try'."
d***@ymail.com
2012-04-30 16:07:08 UTC
Post by Ken Arromdee
Are we supposed to ignore all considerations of inappropriate age
differences?  Most anime characters are young, and most of us are old
enough that the first worry would be being sent to prison for statutory rape.
There are only a few of the women that I know are of age.

Horo is thousands of years old.

Yoko from TTGL is of age after the time skip.

Makise Kurisu is 18, according to 5pb.

I think Tohsaka Rin had turned 18 shortly before Fate/Stay Night
began.

Both versions of Nodame should be over 18.

I'd be very surprised if Revy wasn't of age, although all I have seen
of Black Lagoon was been promotional material.

On the other hand, the goddess Yurie is clearly too young, as a middle
school student who acts young for her age.
Rob Kelk
2012-04-30 23:10:01 UTC
Post by Ken Arromdee
Post by Rob Kelk
Where do these people rank, in both relative and absolute terms, on the
proverbial OhDearGodI'llNeverDrinkAgain (or alternately, the
WhatIdiotSpikedThePunchI'llSkinHimAliveForThis) scale?
Are we supposed to ignore all considerations of inappropriate age
differences? Most anime characters are young, and most of us are old
enough that the first worry would be being sent to prison for statutory rape.
Traditionally, we pretend we're the same age as the characters. (There
was one of these back in early-2006 that listed only Negima characters;
nobody batted an eye.)
The Wanderer
2012-04-30 14:45:09 UTC
[...]
I don't recall - does one end of this scale run all the way to "this is the
greatest thing ever" and/or to "not sure what's wrong with this"? Because that
sort of reaction is always possible, though the degree of insanity it might
indicate is another question.

I've apparently fallen much further behind on anime than I thought; there are a
grand total of three characters in the "ladies" list whom I'm familiar enough
with to have any idea at all about, and at most eight from the men (and even
some of those are probably from earlier renditions of the source material).
Suzumiya Haruhi (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu)
...depending on exactly what I recall of her from the previous night, and on how
much *she* remembers, this could be anything from "this could even be good" to
"I'm nearly as screwed as a Homestuck extra".
Yoko (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
That would depend not insignificantly on just when in the series she's from.
Post-series, post- or mid-timeskip, early-series, and pre-series would all be
likely to involve different situations, and thus different reactions.
Light "Kira" Yagami (Death Note)
"If I'm lucky, maybe I can throttle him before he wakes up. Or at least search
his clothes in hopes of stealing the Note."
Kamina (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
...what's wrong with this one again?
Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch)
That would depend on when in the series he was from. And on who else might know
I'm there. And on whether this means I'm in his world, or he's in mine, or
neither of the above.
Simon (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
That would depend *very* strongly on when in the series he was from.
Post-series, post-timeskip, post-Kamina, and "none of the above" could all
produce very different reactions on his part, effecting very different reactions
on mine.
Vash the Stampede (Trigun: Badlands Rumble)
I'd have to decide very quickly whether to stick as close to him as possible, or
get as far away as possible in a great hurry. (His own reaction is unlikely to
be anything to worry about.)
--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.
Rob Kelk
2012-04-30 23:13:10 UTC
<snip>
Post by The Wanderer
Post by Rob Kelk
Where do these people rank, in both relative and absolute terms, on the
proverbial OhDearGodI'llNeverDrinkAgain (or alternately, the
WhatIdiotSpikedThePunchI'llSkinHimAliveForThis) scale?
I don't recall - does one end of this scale run all the way to "this is the
greatest thing ever" and/or to "not sure what's wrong with this"? Because that
sort of reaction is always possible, though the degree of insanity it might
indicate is another question.
The scale runs from "(other person)-san, will you marry me?" to "how
fast can I run away from (other person)-san?" (or further, if you thing
running won't do any good).
Post by The Wanderer
I've apparently fallen much further behind on anime than I thought; there are a
grand total of three characters in the "ladies" list whom I'm familiar enough
with to have any idea at all about, and at most eight from the men (and even
some of those are probably from earlier renditions of the source material).
Tell me about it...

<snip>
Gerardo Campos
2012-04-30 16:11:04 UTC
Post by Rob Kelk
It's been a while since we had this fluff thread; specifically, it's
been six years. But nostalga is the latest thing, and anime-reactor.net
has a "best character" list for each year (citing the Japanese anime
names) to raid for the last half-decade-plus, so...
<snip>

Though the list of shows and characters is impressive, I am not familiar
with any of those
--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos
Bill Martin
2012-04-30 16:38:19 UTC
Post by Rob Kelk
[...]
Okay, tackling the list now, will read other's responses later. For my
(Never drank before, not going to drink again)
Post by Rob Kelk
Suzumiya Haruhi (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu)
I think I know who spiked the punch, ranks about a 10.
Post by Rob Kelk
Revy (Black Lagoon)
Ranks maybe a 5.
Post by Rob Kelk
Fujioka Haruhi (Ouran Koukou Host Club)
Ranks about 35 or so, mainly because she dresses like a man.
Post by Rob Kelk
Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière (Zero no Tsukaima)
78, mainly because she's a loli.
Post by Rob Kelk
Tousaka Rin (Fate/stay night)
17, because she's not quite legal, from my understanding.
Post by Rob Kelk
Konata Izumi (Lucky Star)
38, because she's not legal either, and even if she was, she doesn't look it.
Post by Rob Kelk
Yoko (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
23 before episode 16, 0 after episode 16. (Episode 16 is a clip show)
Post by Rob Kelk
Aisaka Taiga (Toradora!)
59
Post by Rob Kelk
Anarchy Panty (Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt)
75, and I'd be making an appointment at the clinic because I'd be
almost 100% sure I'd have picked up something.
Post by Rob Kelk
Anarchy Stocking (Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt)
25, only because of how Season 1 ended
Post by Rob Kelk
Kagura (Gintama)
12, only because she's not a native of this planet.
Post by Rob Kelk
Niche (Tegami Bachi)
99, definitely would be regretting this one. She looks like she's 5.
Post by Rob Kelk
Akemi Homura (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)
47, she's a middle schooler, for Pete's sake. I realize that if I'm
remembering it, she's okay with it, but I'm still not liking it.
Post by Rob Kelk
Kaname Madoka (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)
58, she's a middle schooler too, but here I'd know it's not by her
decision, since she doesn't have time travel powers.
Post by Rob Kelk
Makise Kurisu (Steins;Gate)
1, she is very relevant to my interests.
Post by Rob Kelk
Sakura Kyouko (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)
57, yet another middle schooler.
Post by Rob Kelk
Tomoe Mami (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)
54, Not quite as bad as others, but still, too young.
--
Please note, I have blocked most gmail addresses. I can still be
reached by e-mail, and if you are a legitimate poster, I can make an